Sunday, January 11, 2009

I fought the avocado and the avocado won....

I am typing with one hand...so this will be short, sweet, and to the point. Yesterday, I was trying to get the seed out of an avocado and the knife slipped and went right through the avocado and though my hand. Yes, I said THROUGH my hand...between the thumb and index finger. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. I pulled the knife out, (I know your are not supposed to but it was just instinct) and about fainted and puked...no joke. Troy and Reid were not home...it was just me and Macy. I freaked out, quietly, and ran out the front door to my neighbors house. She wasn't home but her husband was. He helped me get the bleeding under control and drove me to the ER. It seemed like an eternity to get there, for Troy to get there, and then another 3 hours before I got to see a doctor. Talk about throbbing pain for 3 hours.....YIKES! The good news is that I didn't hit any nerves, bone, major blood vessel, or tendon. The throbbing pain was caused from the trauma and the air in my hand from me pulling out the knife. Not a bright idea. So, today, I am better. It's just a little sore. FYI, from now on, I will be using a spoon to get the seed out of the avocado. I know....call me dumb.
The knife (see the blood in the middle)....yuck!

After a trip to the ER....

No more avocados for me...for a while!



Now, look who has kitchen duty! YIPPEE!


9 comments:

Lynn said...

GO TROY! You are the best on kitchen duty. POOR SISSY. I have done the exact same thing and have the scar to prove it. I think I even have a knife like that. Guess our gene pool isn't too deep. Glad all is ok and hope the soreness goes away soon. You always were so brave. I LOVE YOU.

Holly said...

Okay, that knife is scary! Shiver.

I'm soooo sorry that happened and that there was such a long wait in the ER. Grrr.

Hope your hand heals QUICKLY!!

MeyMey said...

Goodness Heather!!

I cannot IMAGINE pulling that dang knife out. Ewww, and OUCH.

Poor Troy.. lol. You KNOW you did it on purpose, just to get outta dish duty!

But seriously.. SO glad it didn't do as much damage as it could have.

:)

Lynn said...

I was not calling Troy a sissy in my comment.....I just read that and it would seem that way to people who don't realize that I call Heather, "Sissy". I meant Poor "Sissy". Just sayin.....

jody said...

My poor baby! Ouch! I am so sorry about your accident. How did the trauma affect Macy? Did she inherit your mother's love of blood and gore? You truly are a brave girl! Love you, jody

Anonymous said...

Glad your "holy hand" is feeling betta! Yikes, I'm bringin the guacamole next time! ha ha ha

Sheila said...

So THAT'S how you get the husband on kitchen duty!! lol You are a brave girl. Think I would of passed out cold!

Kim said...

Bless your heart!!! I am SO thankful that more permanent damage was not done. And that knife is scary! The CSI in me loves the bloody avacado... Get well! :)

Giggi said...

Owwwwwwww! I can't imagine pulling the knife out! You know that Aso guacamole is pretty good! Maybe you should stick to that for awhile. Sorry, didn't mean to say stick...Hope your hand feels better soon! Love you!